With your help, we can make Canada a nation where all youth have an equal opportunity to graduate from high school and build the foundation for their future success.
There are so many ways that you can help to build a Graduation Nation!
Provide Summer Internships
Internships provide a valuable opportunity for young people to discover their strengths and interests and make realistic and informed decisions about their career paths.
Employers benefit from the skills and passion the youth bring to their position; employers also take great satisfaction in contributing to the development of a well-trained and better prepared workforce.
In some cases, internships lead to permanent working relationships in the future, an outcome that benefits everyone involved.
We’re looking for internship opportunities in a variety of sectors so we can offer choice and value both to our students and to the interested companies.
If you are interested in hearing more about partnership with Pathways for summer internships, please contact:
Pathways to Education Canada
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is required of your organization?
- Provide paid summer internship in the summer or, in some cases, throughout the year
- Provide valuable work experience for Pathways youth, including industry exposure and opportunity for growth
2) How does Pathways support this program?
- Pathways provides student support and preparation through recruitment support, registration, presentations, training workshops, site visits, resume writing and interview scheduling
- Pathways also provides regular contact with the internship supervisor and the student through our Specialty Mentor who will be acting as a liaison throughout the summer
3) How are students selected?
This can vary. Some organizations already have a summer internship program in place and Pathways would like to be included in that application process. Others give us a job description and have us pre-select students for an interview with the position’s supervisor for the final selection.
4) What support is needed once the student starts?
The student is assigned a supervisor and has a performance evaluation as in any work position. A staff person from Pathways will keep in touch with you and the student and be available for any challenges that may arise.
5) If your organization does not offer internships, you can still help!
If you do not have internships available you can still get involved by supporting this valuable program financially. Donations to the internship program provide appropriate compensation to interns participating in job opportunities that would otherwise be unpaid.
Thank you to the following organizations for offering paid internships in the past:
- Central Community Care Access Centre
- Canadian Auto Workers
- Grey Hadden Family Foundation
- Mercer (Canada) Limited
- Mount Sinai Hospital - Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute
- Parmalat Canada
- Pathways Canada
- RBC Dexia
- SoftChoice Corporation
- St. Michael's Hospital
- Stikeman Elliott LLP
- Toronto District School Board
A Special Thank You to TD Bank Financial Group for making the following internships possible:
- AFC Arts Adventure Camp
- Heritage Toronto
- Regent Park School of Music
- Toronto Public Library
- WoodGreen Community Services
Help Build a Graduation Nation
- Graduation Nation is our 5-year initiative to reduce dropout rates and make graduation a national priority
- We must achieve our goal to serve 10,000 students and alumni by 2016
- We can’t do it alone: Individuals, corporations, and government all have a critical role to play