Job Type: Full-time; Contract ending June 30, 2021 (with potential for renewal or future permanent status)
Reporting: Reports to Controller
Location: Pathways to Education Canada office; Toronto (University Ave. & Dundas)
Closing date: February 21, 2020
Pathways to Education is a national, charitable organization working to make Canada a Graduation Nation. Partnering with dedicated organizations in low-income communities, Pathways supports youth to graduate from high school and achieve their full potential. Celebrating 15 years of successful programming, our award-winning combination of academic, financial, social, and individual supports continues to successfully break the cycle of poverty through the power of education.
Pathways to Education is hiring an Accountant to join our Finance team. Reporting to the Controller, the Accountant will be part of a dedicated team that leads Pathways Canada’s financial activities and processes to support the organization’s long-term sustainability and impact. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is self-motivated, passionate about learning, and interested in being part of a dynamic organization that is making a difference.
What You’ll Do
- Track and record all financial transactions, including deposits, transfers, payments, and payroll entries.
- Assist the Senior Financial Analyst in preparing month-end and year-end working papers, including bank reconciliations and account reconciliations.
- Responsibility for the full payment cycle of multiple expense types, from matching, coding, and data entry, to cheque printing and electronic funds transfers.
- Prepare ad hoc analyses and reports (e.g. vendor and account analysis, revenue details, and department spending) and respond to management and external auditor inquiries.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal clients with respect to reporting inquiries and accounting help.
- Proactively seek out and recommend finance process improvements and systems enhancements. Participate in projects to implement these changes, both individually and with the team.
What You Bring
- Undergraduate degree or post-secondary diploma in accounting or business;
- At least 2 years’ work experience in a related field, including payment processing, cash handling, data entry, gift processing, and accounting;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to quickly master subject matter and apply it in various business operations;
- A high level of adaptability and initiative, seeking continual process improvements and efficiencies;
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel, Office 365, and accounting/reporting systems required;
- Experience working in a non-profit environment and exposure to fundraising systems (e.g. Raiser’s Edge) would be an asset;
- French language ability would be an asset.
Qualified and interested applicants are invited to forward their cover letter and resume with the subject line “Accountant” to [email protected] by February 21, 2020. Pathways to Education Canada thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Pathways to Education Canada is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.