Pathways can receive gifts of securities such as shares, bonds, warrants and options listed on a recognized stock exchange as defined by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), as well as gifts of mutual funds/units, pooled fund units, and segregated fund units. Our normal practice is to sell gifts of publicly-traded securities immediately upon receipt to generate funds in support of our program.
Why donate securities?
Not only will you be you helping to #BuildPathways to success for all youth, but when you make a gift of securities to Pathways:
- You eliminate the capital gains tax that you’d have to pay if you sold the securities and then donated the proceeds; and
- Your gift will result in a tax credit that can be used in the year of your gift or carried over for up to five years.
You also have the option to give now or as part of your estate and will planning.
How are tax receipts issued?
- For securities transferred electronically, the value of your tax receipt will be based on the closing market value of the security on the day it is received in Pathways’ brokerage account.
- For securities delivered via share certificate, the value of the tax receipt will be based on the closing market value of the security on the day Pathways takes possession of both the share certificate and the transfer documents/Power of Attorney.
How do I donate securities right now?
Three steps to make a gift of securities:
- Decide which securities you’d like to donate. Consult your financial advisor to decide which investments make the most financial and philanthropic impact.
- Fill out the form below. Upon submission, the information will be automatically sent to: 1) Your broker, 2) Pathways, and 3) yourself.
- Check your email for follow-up information.